Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Wk 3 Blog Comment 1: Art of Possibility, Chapters 5-8


Britni Hendrickson writes:
In the Art of Possibility by Rosamund Stone Zander & Benjamin Zander, as I read chapter 5, I at times switched out conductor with educator. (I think that often times we feel like the conductor to all the various student personalities and learning levels.) As educators, we at times could boast and take too much pride in the success of our students, for example on the year end exams. But in actual reflection we the teacher's couldn't be successful without the hardworking, studious, and intelligent student, right? I love the idea of being more of a facilitator and aiding students in their success. Too many times lately have I experienced/seen students wanting to be spoon fed. And at that point what are we teaching our students by doing that? I enjoyed the scene where Maestro Guido Lobeps Gavillan and his Cuban Philharmonic Orchestra and how what he saw as failure turned into an amazing peer teaching moment. Their reactions were very similar to what I have seen numerous times in the classroom, the environment becomes energized! What a great "aha" moment.

I do feel that my overall mood/demeanor will effect the environment that I am in. If I am depressed, sad or grumpy, in my opinion I am going to bring down those with me. But if I am happy, positive and upbeat my energy is bound to rub off on those around me. I really liked the game that Roz described, "Have the Best ____ Ever." It is a good challenge and in the end will create positive results. I personally am happy 95% of the time, those around me will see me with a smile on my face, and almost always get those around me to smile back. (That is a personal mission that I seek to accomplish everyday, to make people smile!) But one thing that I find helpful is to take any situation and try to find one good thing about it! For example, say my car breaks down on the way home from work. I might say, well good news is, I don't have to cook-pizza delivered it is! You would be surprised how your mood might lighten/lift a bit. Sometimes when you have something that is bringing you down, you must first figure out what exactly it is that is holding you back. Once you have figured this out (prayed about it)
and searched (sometimes going outside the box) for a solution. You can get past it. I agree that often times you might have to dig for that passion or tap into some of that "energy and vibrancy" of your environment to overcome this rut that you are in.

This book is being read at the perfect time of my life as sometimes I feel like I am spinning my wheels. It's really helped me to think outside the box, and remember what is important and also how to think on the more positive side. Ultimately, for me it comes down to what I value the most, and the fact that I will reach my goals, I just need to see all the possibilities in perspective.

@ Britni
I have to agree that we are like Ben Zander in many ways.  We conduct our diverse group of students in tasks that, at first glance, look like a cacophony of unrelated ideas, and blend them into a cohesive unit of material.  I have always looked at myself as a facilitator, especially since I went to a project-based learning model.  This method gives the students the ability to redraw the borders of their work and the freedom to express themselves more completely.  It prepares them for their future in the “real world” beyond academia.

photo by Bernadette Colletti
Your comment about how your mood affects the class environment is also right on the mark.  Years ago, I listened to an audio lecture by renowned educator Harry Wong, who would stand outside his classroom door and greet his students as they arrived every day, always with a smile and a good morning (or afternoon).  The response of his and my students to that might just change the mood of a surly or disaffected student, just because of those few pleasant words.  It is a lot easier facing a class that is in a positive frame of mind, so helping to get them there works to my advantage.  So, having the best ____ ever is a great philosophy to follow.

Thanks for your insight and analysis of this section of The Art of Possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment