Thursday, April 14, 2011

Wk 3 Publishing/Leadership Project part 1 of 2: Presentation v. Publication

You would think, being a speech and debate coach, that this choice would be a slam-dunk for me.  “Sure, Colletti will do the presentation, he’s a natural at it.”  However, writing a 1500 word script goes against many of the things I teach when working with my own team members.  Yes, eventually the best speeches are written out, but when it comes to delivering a presentation, even a formal one, I like to have a few notes and to just wing it.  This extemporaneous style fits me best, as I can change things on the fly based on the non-verbal feedback I get from the audience.  It is this style that works well with my own speech kids, allowing them to look at their speech as a work in progress, a living document which changes week to week based on the comments and critiques from their judges each Saturday.  So, choosing this option isn’t as easy for me as you might think.

screenshot by Mike Colletti
On the other hand, writing an additional 500 words for 2000 word article is like taking that presentation script and expanding on it just a little bit more.  What difference does it make since I ultimately have to write either way?  As anyone who has read my blogs, discussion posts and other written contributions over the last 10+ months can attest, I have never been at a loss for words.  Writing has never been a problem for me. 

To speak or not to speak, that is the question.  It comes down to making the choice, and my choice now is to take a wait and see attitude on this one.  As I begin the process of putting this presentation/paper together, I will see where it is headed.  I will also take some time to create presentation slides to enhance the narrative.  And, if it looks like a presentation by the time the weekend ends, so be it.  If not, publication is the route I will take.  

Stay tuned.


1 comment:

  1. So, you're saying it's about the word count? I know either one will turn out great.

    ReplyDelete