Monday, April 18, 2011

Wk 4 Blog Comment 1: Art of Possibility, Chapters 9-12

Pamela Holifield writes:
I have recently added the phrase, "A vision articulates a possibility" to my Facebook page to see the comments that would be left. Since I am terrible with delayed gratification, after only one 'like' I moved onto my students to hear their comments. Some students were stuck at the word 'articulates' while others replied, "Oh yeah, yeah I get it Miss (for some reason all the kids use Miss instead of Mrs. such and such)." Anyway, I came to realize that students are the one who should be reading this book. The problem blocking most students is that they have no vision. Therefore blocking most possibilities and missed opportunities.

photo by Matt Colletti
I look at myself. I always had vision and always steered my course to the direction I wanted it to go. I remember people asking me what I wanted to be when I grew up and I replied with specific details up to to the type of car I would drive. All have come true except my Eddie Bauer Explorer is a Kia Sedona (which most people think is the Cadillac). My visions determined my possibilities. I wish most of my students would see their visions like I saw (and still continue to see) mine, work towards those goals, and not miss opportunities that might belong to them. Like in the movie "Field of Dreams" if you build it, they will come.

@ Pamela…
I couldn’t help but smile when you mentioned the lack of vision our students today have.  I teach seniors, and the days until graduation are counting down for them.  They have vision, but it is focused now on Prom in 11 days, the last class day in 33 days, and graduation itself four days later.  Everything else is out of sight, including the reading and response journal that was due today, and the assignments in other classes as well.  That is today’s teenager and tomorrow’s adult; as you say, “blocking most possibilities and missed opportunities.”

With that observation made, I am so pleased with the results of my project.  For most of the last month and a half, I did see vision as they worked on the projects they have been presenting over the past couple of days.  And, I saw some unique performances due to some outside the lines thinking from a few of the kids.  Those performances grabbed the other kids and brought them into the stories they told so all learned.  It has been an awesome time, more than I had hoped for. 
photo by Matt Colletti

Thus, your closing quote, from Field of Dreams, one of my favorite films, does ring true:  “If you build it, they will come.” 

Thanks for your observations.

No comments:

Post a Comment