Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Wk 3 Reading: Art of Possibility, Chapters 5-8


I continue to enjoy this book.  The Zander’s continue to present a common sense  approach to living and leading.  I could relate to Chapter 5, Leading from Any Chair.  When I read some of the stories relayed to us, I had to smile.  

photo by Mike Colletti
I am a coach, and I have always tried to allow the students I work with the chance to tell me what they feel they need to work on.  My most successful competitors have taken to this approach and we have productive practice sessions, which translates into success in rounds of debate and speech.  I believe the more ownership the child has with her practice and performance sessions, the better she feels.

As part of this approach, I also have sessions where we don’t work on specific pieces to perform.  Sometimes, just sitting and talking about school or life or almost anything is more effective than going over a performance selection for the umpteenth time.  Being able to relax, and lighten up a little, is following Rule Number Six.  In the scheme of things, speech competition is minor to some of the other things my kids deal with every day, and by showing an interest in the rest of their lives, it allows me to then be able to ask for more of them when it really counts, in competition. 

I think I have had this approach for most of my career.  It is nice when respected individuals like the Zanders validate what I have been doing.

5 comments:

  1. @ Mike,

    Mike Says:
    I believe the more ownership the child has with her practice and performance sessions, the better she feels.

    My Response:
    I totally agree, Mike. It seems like the more a child understands how they got there or how they learn for example, the more likely they are to give themselves credit for their successes.

    Mike Says:
    As part of this approach, I also have sessions where we don’t work on specific pieces to perform. Sometimes, just sitting and talking about school or life or almost anything is more effective than going over a performance selection for the umpteenth time. Being able to relax, and lighten up a little, is following Rule Number Six. In the scheme of things, speech competition is minor to some of the other things my kids deal with every day, and by showing an interest in the rest of their lives, it allows me to then be able to ask for more of them when it really counts, in competition.

    I think I have had this approach for most of my career. It is nice when respected individuals like the Zanders validate what I have been doing.

    My Response:
    I love rule 6! I need to have this ingrained in my forehead. I tend to take things and myself much too seriously. I too, think Zanders is really great and appreciate the validation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike,
    Making connections to your students is crucial for them to 'buy-in' to you and your program. I also believe that when you are interested in them personally, they are more comfortable with you and will see your commitment and dedication to your program and to them. No question about it. I have no question they know you care and know that you are truly a master teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike: I absolutely agree with your comment about taking the time to "relax and lighten up a little." As a teacher and as a coach I too have found that I am more connected with the students who I have had the opportunity to talk to or joke around with in a less formal atmosphere. You and the Zanders are absolutely correct that those kids always seem to be willing to give that much more of themselves because they know you know who they are. Unfortunately though I know that there are a lot of kids that I have had the fortune of teaching that I did not make the effort to "get to know" and wonder what would they have been capable of if I had. This book does a very good job of making it clear that making the effort to have this kind of rapport with our colleagues, administrators, parents, and students would advance everyone's capabilities just that much more. It could change the world.

    Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you are doing a great job! There aren’t too many people that will take themselves out of their position to see what others want so that everyone can be productive. You are allowing your students to take part in their own learning rather than telling them what they need to do. This is very important. It sounds like you have already given them an “A”. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been my impression that being a good coach is one of the best models for good teaching, it requires mutual investment in the process, trust and respect. And the whole point is to see the student succeed and realize more in themselves than they might have known they were capable of achieving. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete