Monday, September 20, 2010

BP14_Practical Experience_Wikispaces, part 3


Success!

Boy, was I disappointed all weekend!  I continually checked the AAStaggDebate wiki page to see who would be the first to register and contribute.  Friday night rolled into Saturday and through Sunday night, and the only post was mine.  I was puzzled by the lack of activity, especially since there are some students in this class that I had taught in previous years, and I knew they would do the assignment.  I became worried that something was wrong.

This morning before class, one of those students came to my classroom to complain that she never received an invitation, nor did anyone else from the class that she had talked to.  My first response was to think back to my conversation with technology, and then to re-read the instructions that the kids received when they were introduced to their new district email accounts.  It was there I discovered the problem.

Students are not able to receive email from anyone outside of our district.  This filter was imposed in order to keep the district server free from all the clutter that travels with outside email like Yahoo, Gmail and AOL.  Thus, the email from Wikispaces was not allowed. 

I was able to copy and paste a copy of the invitation into an email from my district account, and I resent the note to the class.  I had a few students check their district email, and they received the letter.  By the end of the school day, I already had a few posts; I expect the rest of the class to follow suit throughout the evening.  Then, it will be on to more formal assignments. 

Some of the Happy Students
Adding comments to the WIKI



No comments:

Post a Comment