Thursday, September 2, 2010

BP1_Google Reader


Grumpy Reader 1.0

Being an old fashioned guy, this was my idea of a reader.  The news was delivered by a carrier, who was usually slow and very inefficient - how can someone miss the front porch as often as my delivery boy?

Boy, have I learned a lot over the past few months!


Introducing...

Google Reader!



I have searched out some source sites, and here are a few I can share with you.

I started with my co-curricular activity, which is Debate.  I found an RSS feed for Debate Central (http://debate-central.ncpa.org/), which provides research ideas and blog opportunities to high school debaters.  Having the new postings come to me rather than having to remember to check the site will definitely save time.

I then looked for sites which reflect my teaching area, and found a feed for the National Council of Teachers of English (http://www.ncte.org/).  The ability to quickly check new postings on that site will make my use of that organization's resources more efficient.

I then went for sites that would help my Action Research project and found an article on Digital Storytelling on Edutopia's site (feed://www.edutopia.org/edutopia_rss.xml).  How could I not consider adding that feed to my Google Reader?  I also found another website, Free Technology for Teachers (http://www.freetech4teachers.com), which also included a listing for a Digital Storytelling post.

Finally, I wanted to list some sources which included Technology in Education, and I found two.  Education Week (http://www.edweek.org/ew/index.html) had a section on Technology, which I linked to, and eSchool News (http://www.eschoolnews.com/) actually had three different RSS feeds that I subscribed to, including eClassroom News, Technologies and Top News.

I believe these sources will give me a well-rounded view of technology in education, with emphasis on the courses and activities I participate in on a daily basis.  And the fact that the stories come to me will be a time-saver!

My Google Reader screenshot

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mike. FIrst of all your blog looks great. You can certainly tell who has some technology background when you look at the blogs (not me!!). I specifically came to your site because you are involved with technology. I team teach the yearbook and am around the tech lab so much that I thought I could learn by osmosis...not. So I have grabbed a couple of your sites and added them to my reading list. I much prefer a book so I can fold the pages and add stickie notes but I guess I am learning how to do that on the computer now. Thanks for supplying me (and my counterpart at school) with some great resources.

    ReplyDelete